Blog Keywords

Popular Posts for the Month

Friday, January 2, 2009

Zuiko ED14-35mm F2.0 SWD: A Fun Lens

It was one of those days where I was really bored. Really did not know what to do.

I got a camera and lens lying around, why not go out and shoot something just outside the house. There should be something interesting to shoot, at least; maybe the neighbour's cat, or some rocks and dry leaves.



While shooting for about 1o minutes, my daughter joined in. She played at the little garden patch, actually just a few pots of small palms and a flower shrub.

While she was running around the front driveway, I took a few snaps. 5 frames-per-second, and continuous single AF tracking. Done!!

I loved the E-3 fast and responsive AF system, and the ED14-35mm F2.0 SWD was no slouch either.



The sky was bright blue, but very cloudy. The rain just stopped a couple of hours ago.

I noticed a very nice portrait shot; to capture her in her playing environment

I chose a much wider perspective. At 14mm, it was just nice. Not really exagerrating the surroundings, and turned her into a miniscule subject in the frame.

I noticed the Long Subject Range up to 9 stops. No problem, switch on the Auto Gradation, the shadow tones are beautifully rendered with detail amidst the strong bright sky.

Indeed, a lot of tones and detail captured, without losing the essence of the image.








Suddenly, while I was busy snapping, she pointed a red seed just in front of the camera.

I was caught by surprise. It was too close, and the lens was not able to focus. I told her to do it again a bit further from the lens. She obliged.

Quickly, by selecting the AF point on the right, the seed was set in focus. The aperture was F2, which really obliterated the facial details.


Sometimes, you do not know when you will get some beautiful shots. Even on an unplanned situation, during the boring time of the day. The best thing is to just go out and shoot.

No neighbour's cats or rocks or dried leaves this time. What a relief!

That was the lesson learned that day!

No comments: