Blog Keywords

Popular Posts for the Month

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Zuiko and E-5: Day 2

.

Well, I started the day early today. Drove off to a spot near my house to shoot sunrise. Ohhh... what luck, it was cloudy. I got to think of something else.

I went back to the house, and thought of doing some simple comparison with the E-3. No, it won't be the ISO thingy, nor the resolution thingy. We should know that in no way the E-3 can top E-5 in both categories, so I won't bother doing it. What I thought was, how about a test for Auto White Balance accuracy.


E-3 with Zuiko Digital ED50mm F2.0 Macro
Auto White Balance, ISO100

E-5 with Zuiko Digital ED50mm F2.0 Macro
Auto White Balance, ISO200

It was cloudy, and I always have this opinion that the E-3 Auto WB tends to be warm. I took a couple of shots, both with base ISO and tried to see what happened. Both cameras had the external WB sensor On. Voila!! To my eyes, the E-5 has better Auto WB for cloudy skies. This is good!! Now, when will the sky clear for sunlight shots?

Okay... it started to rain. Seems I am grounded for today; no point shooting in the rain as I did it yesterday. I guess some product shots of the E-5 was due.




As for the rest of the day, I will be doing some weekend errands. Let's see how to fit in the schedule for some more test shots.

Throughout the late morning and early afternoon was spent at Ikea. We got ourselves a pair of study desks for our kids. Well, that's done, oh ya, I didn't bring the E-5 along as Ikea don't like to see a photographer with a behemoth of a camera and lens running around its store.

Later in the afternoon, I sent my kid to tuition and had an hour or so of spare time. It is about time to test the video capabilities.

E-5 with Zuiko Digital ED14-35mm F2.0 SWD


E-5 with Zuiko Digital ED14-35mm F2.0 SWD
Dramatic Tone art filter, with S-AF at 4 different points


My observations are as follows:
  1. Video is smooth with crisp details captured by the Zuiko lens.
  2. When using Art Filter, expect lost of smoothness or details depending on the type of filter used.
  3. Auto Focus in single mode works, with the adjustment of focus to the selected AF point (there are 11 to choose from) can be made by pressing the shutter button.
  4. SWD lens have smooth CDAF action, with some subtly soft ticking noise captured by the microphone
  5. Jitter is visible in locking focus for the 14-35mm f2.0 SWD lens. Non-SWD lens like the 14-54mm F2.8-3.5 mk11 does not exhibit visible jitter in locking focus.
  6. AF seems to be very responsive in strong backlight and lowlight situations.

Done with the videos, I waited at the front entrance of my kid's tuition center. I saw the nice sunshine hiding, but waiting to reveal itself from the clouds. It's time...

Though it was raining in the morning, it turned to be uber hot in the afternoon. This is typical Malaysian weather. Looking at the sun, I remembered a long time ago during my days as a novice photographer. One of my many teachers taught me how to make the brightest star seen on Earth appear as a star! It was a two step approach; underexpose by 1 or 1.5 stops, and shoot small aperture f/16. Well, the real challenge to do this shot were the patience to wait for the clouds to clear, and the strong eye to withstand the bright sun!! I think I made like a dozen of shots, and this is the best I could get. By the way, by counting the rays, you can know the number of iris blades in the lens. In this case, there are 18 rays, thus 9 blades.

E-5 with Zuiko Digital ED14-35mm F2.0 SWD
14mm, f/22, 1/250s, ISO100, -1.0ev


Wow.. I am beat!!

I just assembled my daughter's desk, and painted it pink. Now waiting it to dry before putting in the second coat.

I am not sure I have time to do some wireless flash shooting tonight.

For tomorrow, it will be a long day! Firstly, there's an open house and aqiqah invitation in Shah Alam in the morning; where I am expecting a lot of people to be there. Later in the afternoon, my son's kindy will be having the annual concert at a hall in USJ1.

What an eventful day tomorrow. I need to recharge the batteries, and not to forget myself!!

Let's have a piece of New York Cheesecake, and be merry.


Before I went to sleep, I managed to do some lowlight stuff. I set the exposure value at around 2.7EV, which was a room lit with two 60W tungsten bulbs. The subject distance from the lamp was about 5 feet.




The exposure is f/2, 1/20s, ISO1600. That is quite dark indeed. The AF seems to be very responsive.


I am now a very satisfied Zuiko Digital ED14-35mm F2.0 SWD user
The E-5 really does justice to both resolution and AF speed for this lens!!!


2 comments:

Nobody said...

nice output...have to ask this..

what's that annoying sound when the lens is focusing? is it that really loud???

Razi said...

That is the sound of The lens AF motor. To eliminate, need to use external microphone that is hooked to The E-5 audio jack.