Blog Keywords

Popular Posts for the Month

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Zuiko and a Dragonfly

Dragonflies are intriguing. They look like helicopters, ever seemingly hovering on small wads of pond. Sometimes in groups, most of the time solitary. They come in various sizes and colors, too. 

Majestic. 
Beautiful.
Elegant.

E-3 with Zuiko Digital 14-54mm f2.8-3.5
54mm, f/4, 1/200s, ISO400, FL-50R


To capture the elegance of this majestic insect, I need to capture it in full isolation. In many instances, the location is the limiting factor to obtain my vision of such beauty. I always get it muddled with the background, usually grass and dirt.

In this image, I was lucky enough to find it perching lifelessly on the end of the twig in full isolation. Perfect!

While the 14-54mm lens was not the perfect one for high quality macro, I had to make do. This meant that I had to come up very close, in the region of 10cm away. Slow and steady without abrupt movement, I was able to approach it without harm. It was rather dark due to the shade, and I had to resort to higher ISO and fill-in flash from the FL-50R.

That's all it took.


No comments: