Blog Keywords

Popular Posts for the Month

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Zuiko and Flashed Dramatic Tone

.

Yesterday, I bought a back-issue photo magazine, if I was not mistaken it was the American Photographer. I like to read up old pro-grade magazines because to buy them new is very expensive, in the territory of RM40 for an issue. The old ones, about 5-6 months old, is about RM10.

I was particularly interested to read the article about lighting technique by Joe McNally. Apparently, the magazine showed Joe's work in Petaling Street right in the heart of Kuala Lumpur. Now I remember, Joe came here for a workshop early this year. The article was very interesting, especially about the part that he shot with full wireless TTL flash. That's very me, too!!


E-5 with Zuiko Digital ED14-35mm F2.0 SWD + FL-50R
19mm, f/6.3, 1/125s, ISO200, -3.0ev


Looking at his techniques and gears, I could not stand the fact that he used the Lumiquest Softbox III on his SB-900's. Prior to this, I did not hear pleasant comments about this box. I checked with a few flash shooters that I knew, and none have much good to say. But, looking at Joe's results, I might be missing something here. A quick rush to the nearby camera store, J-One at AmCorp Mall was a Godsend! They had a unit. Without hesitation I bought it immediately. On the box, it literally stated that it only works with full TTL flash.

Duh, now I get it why there were some unpleasant comments about it. Lucky me, I am a full TTL flash shooter. I just couldn't stand Manual or Auto flash settings!




Now, having gotten the E-5 a couple of days back, I couldn't resist waiting any more. Quickly I set up the flash on the Manfrotto table-top tripod, and do a rapid TTL flash exposure setting (-3ev on the body, +1 on the flash); this setting will get me the blue sky background. All I needed was the subject. A good thing though. My kids were in a very good mood for a photoshoot. Without much hassle they did the Ultraman and Barbie poses. Shooting was a breeze, both on the photographer and the models.


E-5 with Zuiko Digital ED14-35mm F2.0 SWD + FL-50R
17mm, f/10, 1/250s, ISO200, -3.0ev


I just loved the combination of Dramatic Tone effect with Fill-flash effect. The subject and background just popped up. No post-processing required; the output was just right!!

The E-5 continues to intrigue me in ways I have yet to fully phantom!! This is indeed the best camera Olympus have ever produced, even easily trumping the OM-4!! ( I have the OM-4 in the dry box, the shutter is jammed and I have yet to get it fixed. Bummerrrr!!!).



3 comments:

wjl (Wolfgang Lonien) said...

Very cool photos Mohamad! And your kids as Ultraman and Barbie are really comel.

I also like Joe and his work. Met him at Photokina in Cologne this year, where we had an hour-long one-to-one (well more like a two-to-one, since I brought my adik). Joe's a great guy, and his books are very nice, too.

What I don't get tho is why you cannot get results like these with manual settings. Care to tell us more about that?

Terima kasih,
and cheers,
Wolfgang

Thru-the-Zuiko said...

It is quite difficult shooting wireless flash in Manual mode with kids moving close and far from the camera.

And I never really bothered to spend time with ever changing the settings.

wjl (Wolfgang Lonien) said...

I see - thanks for explaining. We had another more static setup today, using my Yongnuo YN-460II - see (the pictures in) http://wolfgang.lonien.de/2010/11/noch-eine-blitzsession/ if you are interested.

Our Zuleikha did some 160 shots herself today, using Mitchie's Panasonic TZ-7...

cheers,
Wolfgang